Monday, July 21, 2014

Review of Hickory Dickory Dock

Book #26. Hickory Dickory Dock, by Agatha Christie. Unabridged audio. 

My mom was a huge fan of mysteries for as far back as I can remember. She must have read all of the Agatha Christie’s books when I was a kid, especially the Miss Marple books, of which I read a few, if they passed her inspection.

When I saw that a local library had   recently acquired a large collection of newly-produced Agatha Christie audiobooks, I thought it was a good time to reacquaint myself with the author, and the Hercule Poirot stories seemed a good place to start.

This adventure takes place in a boarding house in a college town, catering to international students. When a few small items begin disappearing, the proprietor of the house, calls on the expertise of a friend of a friend, the famous private detective Hercule Poirot.

The students try to help Poirot, offering suggestions based on their own areas of academic interest. But the areas of psychology and anthropology only take the investigation so far. When the specter of international smuggling crops up in the investigation, the stakes are raised and the events turn suspenseful.

I enjoyed this novel quite a bit. Christie does a good job leading us down the various paths that the investigation takes. The various suspects are well characterized, and the twists and turns that the story takes make sense. Overall, the mystery is very well-paced, building to a satisfying conclusion.

The only part of the book that I did not like was the "hickory dickory dock" motif, which seemed forced, as if the book ws named before it was written.

No comments:

Post a Comment